AK5 swallowing money when the kiosk is not on

Questions about our products
UfukD

AK5 swallowing money when the kiosk is not on

Post by UfukD »

Hi

Lately one of my customers complained about the fact that my kiosk swallowed money. I learned that the reason is that he wasn't aware of that the kiosk (the computer) was not on. I reproduced the situation myself too.

When the kiosk (computer) is not on, the AK5 takes in the money instead of spitting it back out from the front of the coin acceptor. I thought that when the kiosk is off, the AK5 is also off and it doesn't take in the coins, so now i know it's the opposite of that. Some customers don't give much attention of the fact that if the kiosk is on or off. They assume it's on, but sometimes it can be off.

Could there be a solution for this, or do i have to learn to live with it?
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

We used to get power from inside computer, so when the computer is down coin acceptor does not active. But this will need to have to hack the computer's power, may be we should let this an option.
I suggest use the same power bar with switch for coin acceptor and PC.
When you power off the PC also turn off the power bar.
usually the kiosk computer should is alway on or you have to put up a sign to for PC available time.

Thanks
UfukD

Post by UfukD »

Hi

I have an idea. What if I supply the AK5 with power by the molex connector of the computer? I'm talking about the molex which is normally used for hard drives and dvd drives. That molex delivers also 12V. I have a cable which i can connect to it and the other end is the same as the end of the ac adapter you deliver, that i connect to the AK5. Then the AK5 gets its power from the computer, so when the computer is OFF the AK5 won't get power either, so it can not swallow money.

What do you think, can this work?
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

That is very good idea, that what we do before, but this need hack into the computer and it may damage computer if the person did not do it correct. for example connect the wrong wire or make short circuit which we do not want to be hold responsible for. This is definitely good solution if you know how to do it.
thanks
UfukD

Post by UfukD »

Hi

I have done what i proposed to do, and IT WORKS, i don't need the ac adapter anymore. Just connect a cable with a female molex to the male molex that is coming from the power supply of the computer and the other side of the cable has to be exactly the same type as the one of the ac adapter and it works, because the molex delivers 12V also (black and red cable, not black and yellow because that delivers 7V which is not enough for the AK5)

this is not hacking :), because i'm using computer tables where the PC is build in the tables and the AK5 also, the wires go through the hidden areas of the table. The customer sees only the AK5, the screen, mouse and keyboard. I will post some pictures of my systems later :)

anyway thank you for your responses.

see ya
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Great job! thanks for sharing.
hstraf

Post by hstraf »

This is a great idea!

I was actually thinking about this the other day, because we are using a "convertor" plug to change the north american adapter plug into the French style plug... but it keeps falling out of the socket.

My only concern was that I did not know the amperage of the computer's DC power.

Is it possible to post a picture of the molex connector that you have created? I think they are all the same, so if your picture shows what wires we need to tap into, then this will help. (I have a multi-meter, but thought a picture will help others who are looking to do something similar.)

Another idea I thought was to use the USB port for power, but I think it only has 5 volts which is not enough..
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

The instruction of wiring is here, but you may need to use voltage meter to double check if your computer is following the same standard.
We are plan to make this cable as optional to replace the power adapter and it will be available in few months.

UfukD

Post by UfukD »

i was preparing the pictures to post instruction to reply on this thread, but now i see you people already did that :) , it is great idea of me isn't it? :D maybe i get a free AK5 for it :D

Good luck to you all.

C Ya
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

You can post yours too, so it will become more clear for other people.
You are very smart and thanks.
UfukD

Post by UfukD »

Hi,

So when can we order these new cables? I'm not always in the mood or have the time to find the parts and make these cables myself? Can we order them already with new AK5's?
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

The new cables will be available in couple weeks, however we have limited quantities of test cables for AK5 only ($10 each).
Send email to sales@weavefuture.com for the quantities you need.
thanks
Administrator

Re: AK5 swallowing money when the kiosk is not on

Post by Administrator »

The New cable is available now
Computer Hard Driver 4 pin molex cable to 12VDC adapter for AK5 or Weavefuture Internet Kiosk interface Board