Should I use AK5 or AH5-PC for my internet kiosk?

If you need help about Internet Cafe, Cybercafe, Kiosk, Coin Op, Self Service, you can ask here.
I may not be able to answer it. Other people may just know it and help you.
hstraf

Should I use AK5 or AH5-PC for my internet kiosk?

Post by hstraf »

Hello,

I am looking for a recommendation or advice on which product to purchase.

I want to make a "internet kiosk" computer for my family's camping ground, but I don't know which is better.

The AK5 is a "software controlled" device. It displays the timer on the computer, and uses software to "lock" the computer.

The AH5-PC is a "hardware controller" system, and I think it phyiscally disconnects the mouse/keyboard when the timer is finished. The timer is displayed externally with a little LCD countdown clock.

I think perhaps the AK5 (software) is better, because it is more intuitive for the customer? They can see the timer countdown on the computer screen. The software can also "reset" the computer after each customer is finished.

The AH5-PC would leave the computer in whatever was the previous state by the previous customer. (For example, if previous customer was running Word then the computer would still be in Word program when the next customer pays... and this might be confusing?

What do you think? I want to make sure I choose the correct product. Perhaps someone could explain why they chose to use the AH5-PC instead of the AK5 for their coin-operated internet kiosk?

Thanks!
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

You are correct!. Use AK5 is correct selection for Internet Kiosk Computer.
AH5-PC is for person who did not know anything about Computer and is very afraid of using the software of computer.
Some of our customers later on switch to AK5 when they have some knowledge of computer.
For AK5, you just download the software and install it. It is easy even you just a basic user of PC.
clem

Post by clem »

I use the AK5 and would recommend it. It gives complete control of what programs load when money is inserted. I'm just running an internet Kiosk, and no other appplications, and it works well for me. You can either use the included browser, or set something up yourself. I use the Opera browser, which has a kioskmode, where you can define what the user is able to do. So far I have had no problems, but it did take a bit of setting up to get it just right. I like the combination of the coin mechanism and the opera browser which can be customised according to need. Obviously you have to mount the coin mechanism somehow - ie in a desk or something. I have used a normal office desk and mounted it where the drawers go. So far I have had no problems, but it might not be secure enough for an unattended installation. It's designed to go into a hotel or place where staff are present, but not there to do anything to the kiosk.
Administrator

unattended internet kiosk

Post by Administrator »

to install unattended internet kiosk, you may need to build your own kiosk cabinet. first few pictures are the example for unattended internet kiosk.
http://www.weavefuture.com/news.htm
hstraf

Post by hstraf »

clem wrote: I use the Opera browser, which has a kioskmode, where you can define what the user is able to do. So far I have had no problems, but it did take a bit of setting up to get it just right. I like the combination of the coin mechanism and the opera browser which can be customised according to need.
Hi Clem,

Is it possible you could share your .ini file settings that you're using for the kioskmode? I am going to switch from using the weavefuture browser to the operat browser, and was thinking that if you found a good combination of settings it will save me some time to experiment, etc...

Thanks!
clem

Post by clem »

Hi,

I use opera, and run this command in the Kiosk settings/choose an apllication to run when money paid:

"C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe" /kioskmode /kioskbuttons /nocontextmenu /noprint /nosave /nokeys /nodownload /nosplash /kioskwindows

You can also add noexit to that string - this diasbles alt-f4 to exit opera. Makes it more secure, but hard to change windows settings, as opera cannot be exitted, and it will always run when you put money in. Is a better setting for total security when you have it running as you want it. I didn't actually edit the ini file, I just played with button positions etc when not in kiosk mode to get the settings I wanted. It might take a bit of tweaking to get the result you want. I'll look for the ini file in a while.

I'm running in a limited user account, and the profile setting is in a hidden folder, I think - C:\Documents and Settings\default user\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile. It doesn't seem to store it in the user account as weavefuture executes the program. I had to make one of the files:
C:\Documents and Settings\default user\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\sessions autosave.win read only, otherwise it would always go back to the last page viewed when money is put in rather than the homepage. This is due to the way weavefuture exits when the time runs out. Opera thinks it's crashed. I know this isn't very clear, but if you have a go and get back with any problems I'll try and help. I'll post a screenshot of my setup later when I get time

Clem
hstraf

Post by hstraf »

Thanks Clem, that is very helpful!

:)
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Thanks Clem for sharing the information!
clem

Post by clem »

Just thought I'd upload a few pictures of my setup at the moment, including the start page before money is put in, the customised version of Opera browser, and the desk and coin mechanism. The desk isn't really secure enough, it's just made of wood, and with a hammer or large screwdriver someone could get in, but the terminal is in a reception area, so there is always staff about, so security isn't too much of an issue.
You can see from the browser pic that I've positioned the timer over to the left - so the customers don't use the start menui options - all it is is an internet browser. The terminal has a power button which I use to turn it off - I'd rahter use the start buitton to do this, so the customer couldn't turn the PC off, but the start button only appears when I put money in, so I use the power button

Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Thanks so much for your pictures, they are so great.
I will use them in out website if you do not mind.
clem

Post by clem »

No problem to use the pictures on your website - it's interesting to see how other people are setting up their kiosks.

As you might notice, I only accept 50p and £1 coins - I used to accept 20p coins, but the AK5 seemed to be getting them wrong too often. ie 50s as 20s and vice versa. Not sure how to solve this - I kept re-teaching the ak5, but the problem still is there. Even now the AK5 will detect a 50p as a £1 coin, although this is slightly less common. These coins are vey diffferent, so I'm not sure why this is happening

Regards
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Thank your for your information.
The Ak5 is targeted for all the coins set for all over the world and it is first and hardest challenge.
We will try our best to optimized the coin acceptor especially for UK coins.
The £1 is very thick than usual coins,
50P is bigger that usually coins and not round.
So the entrance has to be so wide and big.
And when your drop sample coins, the data saved will not consistent and have wider range.
There might be some overlay in the sample data of the coin according to material and size and there are also algorithmic calculation.
We have fully tested and are working in the lab and could not reproduce the problem you have.
but in reality world there will be damaged coins, dirty coins, magnified coins.
The way, the customer drop coin are different, some drop fast, some in different angle.
So, when you do the sample. make sure
1. select sample coins as new (in appearances) as possible.
2. select sample coins as wide range (different version and different time)
3. do not use the problem coins which have confuse the coin acceptor.
4. turn the MGN-NOM-MAX switch to MGN, which will be more strict on coins.
We have to take the type of the coin out if it still not work after above effort.
Administrator

AK5 coin acceptor has made some new optimized now

Post by Administrator »

AK5 coin acceptor has made some new optimized now to better support
UK coins, EURO coins, AUD coins.
Please indicate that you are using these 3 countries' coins when you order these.
We hope these new models will better solve the previous issues.
Thanks